School Uniform / Dress Code
All students in grades K through eighth grade must wear an appropriately sized, well-kept school uniform with pride and dignity. Uniforms are purchased through Dennis Uniforms either in person or online. Best practice would be to label your child’s name in their uniform, especially their outerwear during the colder months.
Boys’ K-8th Grade Uniform
- Navy blue uniform shorts or slacks should be worn at the waist and may not be more than one waist
size larger than normal.
- Shirts are red and should be tucked in at all times.
- Undershirts must be solid white.
- Students in grades 1- 8 must wear a black belt with a simple buckle.
- White or black above the ankle socks must be worn (no show socks are not permitted).
- Primarily black tennis shoes or black leather dress shoes with non-marking soles must be worn. Shoes
must be fully-laced, fastened and tied tight at all times. Due to safety reasons, students must not be
able to step out of shoes. Shoelaces must match the shoe and be tied on top of the shoe.
- P.E. shirts and shorts must be worn on P.E. days only. Navy blue sweatpants and sweatshirts may be
worn on P.E. days in the colder months.
Girls’ K-8th Grade Uniform
- A jumper must be worn in grades K through third grade.
- Skirts or Skorts must be worn in grades 4-8. Hems must be 1 inch above the knee or lower. (Black or dark blue biker-type shorts should be worn under skirts.)
- Shirts should be red and should be tucked in at all times.
- Undershirts must be solid white.
- White, black, or blue above the ankle socks must be worn (no show socks are not permitted).
- Students wearing skirts or jumpers may also wear blue knee high socks.
- Primarily black tennis shoes with non-marking soles or plain black flats with strap (Mary Jane Style) must be worn. Shoes must be fully-laced, fastened and tied tight at all times. Due to safety reasons, students must not be able to step out of shoes. Shoelaces must match the shoe and be tied on top of the shoe.
- Blue, white, or black tights are allowed to be worn under the skirt during the cooler months. P.E. shirts and shorts must be worn on P.E. days only. Navy blue sweatpants and school sponsored
- sweatshirts may be worn on P.E. days in the colder months.
- Hoop Earrings, makeup and nail polish, and cat ear headbands are not allowed.
- Bows must be small and unobtrusive; head bands are allowed: no cat ear/unicorn headbands.
Preschool (PreK) Uniform
Preschool students must wear a Preschool uniform shirt that can be purchased from the school office. This shirt may be worn with navy blue bottoms, (to include plain colored sweatpants) purchased from any area store. The school sweatshirts/jackets must still be worn in the winter. Students must also wear velcro tied, black shoes. There is no PE uniform required for Preschool.
K-8th grade students will wear a P.E. uniform, which consists of shorts and t-shirt, and tennis shoes on assigned P.E. Days. The shirt may be untucked during P.E. class only. Uniforms must be laundered frequently, and students should practice the essentials of personal hygiene. In colder months, a school sweatshirt and sweatpants may be worn.
Free Dress Days occur on days determined by the principal. In all cases, student dress must be appropriate for a Catholic School.
- Shorts, skirts and dresses should be 1 inch above the knee or longer.
- Clothing should be neither too tight nor too baggy.
- No spaghetti straps or tank tops.
- Any shirts with logos must always be respectful and reflective of our Christian beliefs.
Jackets and Sweaters
Only SJV logo type jackets and sweaters will be permitted. These may be purchased through Dennis Uniforms or ordered through the SJV School Office.
It is the parent/student’s responsibility to ensure that students attend school in complete uniform. In keeping with this policy, the following norms are observed:
- Uniforms must be neat and clean at all times. Shirts are to be tucked in at all times (except during P.E. class). Belts and/or waistband must be visible at all times.
- No make-up, nail polish, hairspray or sculpted nails of any kind are permitted, and should not be brought on campus.
- Boys’ hair must be worn in a traditional and conservative style and be clean and neat at all times. No modern, fad or extreme hairstyles. Boys’ hair must not extend over the shirt collar and side burns must be kept above the ear. Boys with facial hair must shave. The overriding rule is: TRADITIONAL AND CONSERVATIVE.
- Girls’ hair must be worn in a traditional and conservative style and be clean and neat at all times. No modern, fad or extreme hairstyles. Girls’ hair must be pulled away from their faces. Bleached or highlighted hair is never allowed. Excessive hair spray, styling mousse or gel is not permitted. Girls are not permitted to wear large decorative bands in their hair (to include cat ears). The overriding rule is: TRADITIONAL AND CONSERVATIVE.
- One small religious necklace and one set of post earrings may be worn. Boys may not wear any earrings. Both boys and girls may wear one religious bracelet. The school is not responsible for the loss, damage or theft of any jewelry. Jewelry is never allowed on P.E. days.
- Body piercings or tattoos are not acceptable for school. This includes temporary tattoos.